Friday, January 9, 2009

My Hungarian Grandmother's Silvas Gomboc

My Hungarian Grandmother's Silvas Gomboc, sweet plum dumplings wrapped in potato dough.

There are several dishes which marked my childhood at grandma's house. I didn't know it at the time, but these few dishes would form the basis of my love of cuisine, and my desire to learn the culture and traditions behind foods. 
I grew up in a city with little ritual to its food, though it is a major city, it just doesn't have the same panache or history that some of the great world cuisines have (mind you, we are getting a whole lot better now-a-days at bringing our ancestral heritage and cultural food into the spotlight).

Though we ate regular north american food most of the time, there were these rare occasions when my grandmother would make certain Hungarian delicacies. At the time I couldn't figure out why she didn't make these items all the time, but that was, apparently, before I learned about seasonality. 

I will eventually write about all of these such dishes as I can remember. Pogacha, Palacsinta, and todays article, Silvas Gomboc, plum dumplings wrapped in potato dough, and coated in toasted bread crumbs.

No comments: